International Driving Permits IMPORTANT!!

02/01/2017 00:00



It is your responsibility to make sure your license is valid in Japan before renting a vehicle with us - we absolutely cannot rent the vehicle to you if you do not have a valid license.


Member countries of the 1949 Geneva Convention 

All drivers must be able to drive legally in Japan. In most cases, this means having a valid (less than one year old) 1949 Geneva Convention international driver's permit. There are different types of International Driving Permit and the Geneva 1949 one is the only one which is valid in Japan. You will need to show us this as well as your passport when we complete the paperwork. Also, you need to carry both documents with you driving at all times.

Make sure your license has a stamp in the Box B or/and D according to the type of car you would like to rent


Please check in the list below if your country is part of the Geneva Convention 1949

People from Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Taiwan

Japan recognizes only international driving permits which are based on the Geneva Convention of 1949. A few countries, including Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Taiwan, however, issue international driving permits which are based on different conventions. Those permits are not valid in Japan. Instead, holders of a driver's license from one of the above mentioned six countries can drive in Japan for up to one year with an official Japanese translation of their driver's license from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or their respective country's embassy or consulate in Japan.  Please contact us as we will take care of the translation for you. 

People from other countries, whose international driving permits are not recognized by Japan, must obtain a Japanese driver's license in order to drive in Japan.

If you have any questions give us call.